By Dan Guttenplan, FNF Coaches Magazine
Eddie O’Connor, Ph.D., is a certified consultant with the Association for Applied Sports Psychology and he is on the sports psychology registry of the United States Olympic Committee. He offers five tips for high school football coaches looking to building a united front.
- Commitment contract: What’s our team about? Determine it at the start of each season.
- Preparation: Know the opponent, go through the game plan.
- Roles: Define each player’s role. Are you a leader? What position? Starter?
- Trust, cooperation: This happens over time with honesty. It builds throughout the season.
- Team swagger: The team can buy into the idea that all of us are in this together, and we can succeed with this.