The National Federation of State High School Associations released its rule changes for the 2017 season.
The new rules include:
- Commercial advertising is not permitted on the ball.
- The jersey of the home team shall be a dark color contrasting to the road team’s white jersey.
- Game officials are permitted to accompany the referee during the pre-game meeting with the head coach.
- A new definition for a blindside block.
- Illegal participation fouls be returning team on a kickoff are now enforced under post-scrimmage kick fouls.
- A new definition for a pop-up kick and the penalty that results from that play.
- Added a new option to the offended team on an accepted penalty inside the last two minutes of either half.
- Specifies that the ball is declared dead if a prosthetic limb comes completely off of the runner.
For explanations of each rule, visit the NFHS website.
Do you have a thought about this article that you would like to share? If you do, email managing editor Dan Guttenplan at [email protected] Tweet us @fnfcoaches.